Get 10% off your first year's premium when you take out a Petplan insurance policy for your dog, cat or rabbit on the website todayGet Quote
Call our hotline on:
0845 077 1934
Open 8am to 8pm
Monday - Friday.
Open 9am to 5pm
More about Petplan
See why millions of pet owners have chosen usRead more
Allianz Insurance plc
Allianz Insurance plc is one of the largest general insurers in the UK and part of the Allianz Global Group, one of the world's foremost financial services provider. In 2004 and 2005, the company was voted General Insurer of the Year at the British Insurance Awards. The company also celebrated its centenary in 2005.
Milestones in Allianz's History
Since 1905, we have grown steadily through innovation and acquisition. A look back at our history reveals the significant developments that have made us one of the UK's largest and best known insurers.
- 1905 Cornhill Insurance is founded by directors of Willis Faber as a Fire insurance company.
- 1919 Cornhill offers a personal accident product for the first time, a workman's compensation policy.
- 1924 Cornhill issues its first motor insurance policy.
- 1943 Thomas Tilling acquires a majority interest in Cornhill Insurance.
- 1953 Cornhill's country head office opens in Guildford.
- 1957 Cornhill pioneers the first 50% NCD for motor policyholders.
- 1973 Thomas Tilling acquires the remaining shares in Cornhill Insurance.
- 1974 Cornhill acquires Trafalgar Insurance.
- 1978 Cornhill becomes the first sponsor of Test Cricket in England.
- 1983 BTR buys Cornhill from Thomas Tilling.
- 1986 BTR sells Cornhill the company to Allianz AG.
- 1987 Cornhill Insurance buys British Reserve.
- 1994 Cornhill Insurance launches Cornhill Direct.
- 1996 Cornhill Insurance buys Petplan.
- 1997 Allianz Cornhill Engineering formed following the merger of Cornhill's Engineering operations and Ajax.
- 1997 Broker Direct launched.
- 1998 Cornhill acquires AGF Insurance business in GB following Allianz's acquisition of majority shareholding in the French insurer AGF.
- 1999 DBI Insurance acquired.
- 2000 Cornhill sponsors the 131st, and final, Cornhill Test Match, which marked the first England series win over the West indies for over 30 years.
- 2003 Cornhill Insurance changes its name to Allianz Cornhill Insurance plc.
- 2004 Allianz Cornhill wins the General Insurer of the Year award at the British Insurance Awards.
- 2005 Company celebrates its centenary in style by winning the General Insurer of the Year award at the British Insurance Awards for the second year in a row.
- 2007 Allianz Cornhill Insurance plc changes its name to Allianz Insurance plc.
For more information about Allianz Insurance plc, please visit www.allianz.co.uk