Where to go
There are many countries open to UK residents and their pets all over the world. To find out which are included under PETS you should contact DEFRA www.defra.gov.uk.
There are strict rules concerning the travel companies that are able to transport pets. You can travel by ferry, rail and air, but only with certain companies that are licensed under PETS.
The travel company that you choose will look for the following when you board a plane, ferry or train. They will:
- scan your pet's microchip
- check the health certificate you have relates to the same pet
- check the certificate is valid
- check that your pet has been successfully vaccinated for rabies
- check your pet has been treated for ticks and parasites
From time to time regulations do change. Always consult DEFRA for the latest information about travelling abroad with your pet.