If you’ve spent the past few weeks sneezing and desperately trying to scratch the itch in the back of your throat, then you’ll know just how annoying and frustrating allergies can be.
So imagine what it’s like for a pet with hay fever or grass allergies. During the summer, allergies are more prevalent and can cause huge discomfort for your pets.
Below are some simple tips about what you should be looking out for and the steps you can take to keep your pet’s irritation and discomfort to a minimum if they are suffering from allergies…
Pet allergy symptoms to look out for…
The symptoms of allergies in cats and dogs are very similar to the symptoms in humans. Among the more common things you should be looking out for are:
- Scratching of skin
- Red or watery eyes
- Sneezing, wheezing or coughing
- Licking or chewing of the body
- Vomiting or diarrhoea
- Ear infections
Pet allergy diagnosis...
If you suspect your pet has an allergy then ensure you take them to a vet as soon as you can. Your vet will be able to diagnose any problems based on their tests that may include blood and skin tests.
If your pet does have an allergy, they will then be able to prescribe the best course of treatment for your particular situation.
Pet allergy treatment...
While your vet will ensure the correct course of medication, there are things you can do to help make life more comfortable for your pet. They include:
- Ensure your pet is kept away from suspected allergens. For example, if they have a pollen allergy then keep them indoors during periods when the pollen count is particularly high
- Make sure they are otherwise in good health. Give them high quality pet food and ensure they get plenty of exercise
- Wash your pet with natural shampoo to remove any debris that may be affecting their allergies
- Soothe sore areas with appropriate ointments or creams
- Wash their bedding regularly and at a high temperature, using mild detergent
Have you had any experiences with allergies in your pets? Do you have any helpful advice of your own? Let us know below…